Home » News » Public Safety
Cause of fire in vacant Manchester building under investigation
When the first fire crews arrived, Pelletier said there was a "pretty good volume of fire" and a "big ball of fire coming" out the window in the front.
Flames were extending up both the interior and exterior of the building. Firefighters, in addition to battling the blaze in the dark, had to use extreme caution to avoid holes cut in the second-story floor, according to Pelletier.
The building, designed with four apartments, was built in 1910 and features "balloon construction," meaning there are no fire breaks in the framing which allows flames to get into the walls and run free from the basement to the top peak.
Pelletier said fire crews cut through the roof in the front to get at the hidden flames.
No one was injured.
Fire crews contained the blaze to the building, although the fire's heat melted siding on an apartment building at 303 Hanover St. The fire was under control about 50 minutes after it was first reported, but crews did not clear the scene until about 1:20 a.m.
The building is owned by 305 Hanover LLC, with Doug Jones the contact person, according to Pelletier. Damage is estimated at between $80,000 and $100,000.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
- Merrimack police find car sticking into road, charge man - 0
- Police say impairment and speed not factors in fatal crash in Conway - 0
- Manchester man sustains life-threatening injuries in Bedford crash - 0
- Barrington man, 41, dies in cycle crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Market Basket deal reached; Arthur T. Demoulas to return - 1
- Police mum on reported shooting in Manchester - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help