Home » Opinion » Editorials
More revenues? What about the spending cuts?
"There is no doubt we need additional revenue, coupled with smart spending reductions in order to bring down our deficit," he said during a CBS News interview aired right before the Super Bowl.
That raises a few questions.
1. If he really wants to reduce the deficit, why did he produce four straight budgets with deficits of more than $1 trillion?
2. Does anyone really believe that his new budget (which was due on Monday, by the way) will contain no new spending and instead devote all new revenues to deficit reduction?
3. If revenues are to be "coupled with smart spending reductions," then shouldn't both come at the same time? Why is it always revenues first, spending reductions later?
Republicans in the U.S. House need to insist that the President present real spending reductions before or in conjunction with his plan to raise revenue. Then they should insist that the spending cuts be passed and signed into law before any vote on revenue is taken. Let's not fall again for the "I'll cut spending after you raise taxes" trick.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- George Will: How Obama has worsened inequality - 0
- Fergus Cullen: How an insured family, mine, ended up on the ACA exchange - 11
- John Stossel: The bogus war on women - 7
- Sheridan Brown: NH is vulnerable to an oil spill and needs some protection - 2
- Al Felgar: Patients can’t wait for state to fix narrow Obamacare network - 2
- George Will: The benefits of prudence - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Paul and Cruz vie to become Reagan's heir - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal education policies hurt minorities - 1
- Charles Arlinghaus: Yes, our paltry rainy day fund is a really big deal - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents
License revocations for DWI announced