Bishop Guertin's Mark Phillips named new Alvirne of Hudson football coach
Phillips, 50, was an assistant coach on Tony Johnson's staff at BG from 1994 to 2010. The Cardinals won six Division II championships under Johnson, who was forced to resign after the 2010 season.
Phillips, who is a teacher at BG, will take over an Alvirne program that finished 3-7 overall and 3-5 in Division III last season. The Broncos dropped from Division II to Division III after the 2011 season. Alvirne will move to Division I this year, and will compete in a conference with Nashua North, Nashua South, BG and Keene.
"It's fresh start for Alvirne and a fresh start for me," Phillips said. "I'll have a lot of the assistants that were at BG, so we'll see if we can work some magic."
Phillips replaces Bob Nimblett, who resigned in November after serving as the program's head coach for nine season. The Broncos made one playoff appearance in those nine years (2009).
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- H.S. Football: Knight leads South past North - 0
- H.S. Football: Trinity, with all the trimmings, runs past Central - 3
- Unchained following 34 years, Thursday's Turkey Bowl is Paul Boucher's last game - 1
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Motivation aplenty for Central and Trinity in Manchester's annual Turkey Bowl - 3
- Martinez, Rodriguez lift Salem past Lawrence - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: On any given Thursday - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: Crimson glide - 0
- Roger Brown's First & 10: This year, No. 1 is a no-doubter - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Town's Visiting Nurse Service to get new lease on life in 2014 - 0
- Volunteers sought for discipline committees - 0
- In Portsmouth, ACA primer fails to draw much interest - 0
- Heating fuel assistance funding cuts draw ire of Rep. Kuster - 0
- Nashua aldermen vote for new leadership - 0
- Negotiations with city teachers collapse; Gatsas to take over talks - 0
- Wildcats hockey team falls from national rankings - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Another battle looms for Gronk - 0
- Former Kennett quarterback bowl-bound as BC lineman - 0
Wreaths Across America get big send-off
Where’s Waldo? Just ask the NSA
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
John DiStaso's Granite Status: National Democratic chair to speak at NHIOP in January; Cataldo backs Kenney for Executive Council