Home » News » Public Safety
Ice conditions unsafe on parts of Winnipesaukee
Fish and Game is urging those heading out onto the ice to exercise caution as they do so. A large number of anglers are expected to head out onto the state's lakes and ponds this weekend to participate in the Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby. A recent aerial survey of Lake Winnipesaukee by the N.H. Civil Air Patrol revealed treacherous ice conditions on some parts of the big lake, including an area of open water near Welch Island.
"Caution is in order for those going out onto the ice, especially on the large lakes," said Fish and Game Lt. James Goss. "Don't let the cold temperatures fool you - some areas that have traditionally been safe for ice anglers and other outdoor recreationists are not safe this year. We are urging people to check the ice thickness for yourself before you go out onto any frozen waterbody."
Because of the unpredictable ice conditions, it is not advisable to drive vehicles onto the ice, Goss said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
- Commission honors seven for contributions to state firefighter training - 0
- Lost hikers found safe in Gilsum - 1
- Woman thrown from horse, injured - 0
- Stove ash blamed for Manchester garage fire - 0
- Derry Battalion Chief calls firefighter son a 'hero' for rescuing two boys from Hood Pond - 1
- Epsom trucker, 65, killed in I-93 crash in Salem - 0
- Two taken to hospital after suffering burns in Wolfeboro house fire - 0
- Crews on scene of accident on I-93 in Salem - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 1
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 2
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 3
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll