Rochester charity hockey game postponed by weather
ROCHESTER - As a precaution due to an impending snowstorm, local police and firefighters have postponed their charity hockey game scheduled for Friday.
The 6th annual charity hockey game will be played Feb. 15 in the Rochester Arena. The arena, at 63A Lowell St., donates the time on the ice for the event.
Doors will open at 6 p.m., and the game should start around 6:45 p.m.
Fire Chief Norm Sanborn said the decision to postpone by a week was prudent to keep everyone safe and to ensure the city is ready for any emergencies as a result of the storm.
"It's definitely the right move to make, and people won't want to come out in the snow," Sanborn said. "It's all about having fun."
Spectators will be able to meet and talk to the players from both teams - made up of police, firefighters and their families, according to Detective Steven Gahan.
Local firefighters hope to break the streak, as police are defending their undefeated record.
The entry fee to the game is a nonperishable food item, which will be donated to Gerry's Emergency Food Pantry. The pantry, located in the Rochester Community Center at 151 Wakefield St., assists an average of 300 to 350 people, including families, older residents and couples each week, according to co-coordinator Anne Ackerman.
Ackerman said the pantry is always in need of donations, especially peanut butter and personal care products such as shampoo, soap, deodorant and shaving cream.
For more information about Gerry's Emergency Food Pantry, visit sharefund.org.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 6.0 earthquake strikes California wine country - 0
- Heavy rain saturates NH in a matter of two hours - 1
- Flash flood warning issued for Southern New Hampshire - 0
- Rare tornado touches down in Revere, Mass., no deaths reported - 0
- Severe weather strikes across Granite State - 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hampstead man accused of sex assaults on girl - 0
- Police say man kills daughter, 6 grandchildren in Fla. murder-suicide - 0
- Congress approves arming Syrian rebels, funding government - 0
- Study shows N.H.'s share of U.S. fouled air burden among smallest - 0
- 2 men arrested in Manchester SWAT raid, drug bust - 3
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Dow, S&P 500 at records as rally continues - 0
- 2 women sentenced in Home Depot scam - 0
Pick Walt: Let's have Havenstein
Enter to win tickets to see the Dirty Heads
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over