Home » Opinion » Editorials
FairPoint walks: PUC 'penalty' is a joke
Last month the PUC approved a plan by FairPoint to spend the penalty money expanding broadband Internet access throughout New Hampshire. The state has long desired greater broadband coverage, particularly in the North Country. Most PUC commissioners concluded that FairPoint's offer would amount to a tremendous public benefit for the state.
True, more of the state will have broadband service if FairPoint completes this project. It also is true that FairPoint will have thousands of new customers.
FairPoint sells broadband Internet service. This is no altruistic venture; it is a business investment. The PUC has decided to punish FairPoint by making it richer. It would be like allowing an arrested Hollywood director to work off his court-ordered community service by starting a New Hampshire-based feature film production company.
The money should have been returned to FairPoint customers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Farmington residents pass slight increase to school budget - 0
- Bartlett voters elect new town clerk; Cryans wins Executive Council race in town - 0
- Hampstead voters reject school funding - 0
- Incumbents victorious in Londonderry - 0
- Cormier wins tight selectman race in Belmont - 0
- Hopkinton has a new selectman - 0
- Strafford voters oust an incumbent, reelect a school board member - 0
- Berlin residents select Cryans over Kenney in Executive Council race - 0
- Zoning amendment passes in Loudon - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Rochester man shot multiple times as police attempted arrest - 0
- UPDATED: AG petitions judge to remove Rockingham County attorney from office - 0
- With Pinkerton pact on line, Hooksett voters turn out en masse - 0
- Cryans wins Grantham in Executive Council race - 0
- Coming bad weatherpostpones NHIAA tourney contests - 0
- Middlebrooks homers; Red Sox win, lose one - 0
- Waterville Valley town clerk saying goodbye to post - 0
- Kids get out and vote in Weare - 0
- Hollis voters set to gather for annual Town Meeting Wednesday - 0
Middlebrooks homers; Red Sox win, lose one
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'