Home » Opinion » Editorials
FairPoint walks: PUC 'penalty' is a joke
Last month the PUC approved a plan by FairPoint to spend the penalty money expanding broadband Internet access throughout New Hampshire. The state has long desired greater broadband coverage, particularly in the North Country. Most PUC commissioners concluded that FairPoint's offer would amount to a tremendous public benefit for the state.
True, more of the state will have broadband service if FairPoint completes this project. It also is true that FairPoint will have thousands of new customers.
FairPoint sells broadband Internet service. This is no altruistic venture; it is a business investment. The PUC has decided to punish FairPoint by making it richer. It would be like allowing an arrested Hollywood director to work off his court-ordered community service by starting a New Hampshire-based feature film production company.
The money should have been returned to FairPoint customers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Deroy Murdock: Hillary's Benghazi-Whitewater connection? - 1
- George Will: Obama needs Congress to approve this war - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama is rushing into war against Islamic State - 1
- Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding? - 7
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 5
- Pat Buchanan: In Scotland, it's economic man vs. tribal man - 0
- Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable - 65
- Deroy Murdock: Stuff the Obama lunch tax - 2
- David Harsanyi: The senators who really threaten America - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 6
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it