Home » Opinion » Editorials
FairPoint walks: PUC 'penalty' is a joke
Last month the PUC approved a plan by FairPoint to spend the penalty money expanding broadband Internet access throughout New Hampshire. The state has long desired greater broadband coverage, particularly in the North Country. Most PUC commissioners concluded that FairPoint's offer would amount to a tremendous public benefit for the state.
True, more of the state will have broadband service if FairPoint completes this project. It also is true that FairPoint will have thousands of new customers.
FairPoint sells broadband Internet service. This is no altruistic venture; it is a business investment. The PUC has decided to punish FairPoint by making it richer. It would be like allowing an arrested Hollywood director to work off his court-ordered community service by starting a New Hampshire-based feature film production company.
The money should have been returned to FairPoint customers.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Jon Cavaiani dies at 70; desperate stand in '71 led to Medal of Honor - 0
- Meriam Ibrahim, family welcomed as long journey ends in Manchester - 2
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- NH man's wife flies to Rome, meets Pope Francis after giving birth on death row in Sudan - 2
- Manchester postpones Fourth of July celebration - 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
- Upcoming selectmen's meeting stirring controversy among Bow's firefighters - 1
- Manchester police to hold ‘Coffee with a Cop’ event - 0
- Manchester police officer finds gun in cyclist’s backpack - 2
- President Obama: Rescue attempt of NH-based journalist James Foley failed - 7
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies
Hassan, Havenstein both raise nearly $2m