Home » Opinion » Editorials
FairPoint walks: PUC 'penalty' is a joke
Last month the PUC approved a plan by FairPoint to spend the penalty money expanding broadband Internet access throughout New Hampshire. The state has long desired greater broadband coverage, particularly in the North Country. Most PUC commissioners concluded that FairPoint's offer would amount to a tremendous public benefit for the state.
True, more of the state will have broadband service if FairPoint completes this project. It also is true that FairPoint will have thousands of new customers.
FairPoint sells broadband Internet service. This is no altruistic venture; it is a business investment. The PUC has decided to punish FairPoint by making it richer. It would be like allowing an arrested Hollywood director to work off his court-ordered community service by starting a New Hampshire-based feature film production company.
The money should have been returned to FairPoint customers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Reports say Sudanese Christian woman released; Manchester relative hopeful - 0
- 'Cadillac' health tax costs draw big worry - 13
- Wastewater lagoon blamed for Exit 4 odor - 0
- Author and poet Maya Angelou dies at 86 - 0
- After controversy, retired NH superior court judge fights for kudos - 4
- Road to be closed for fallen Brentwood officer's procession - 0
- Brentwood Officer Arkell's death adds fresh pain to somber law enforcement memorial ceremony - 1
- Conference participants take on climate change planning - 1
- NH agencies see growing needs for seniors - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 0
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH
Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee