Home » Opinion » Editorials
FairPoint walks: PUC 'penalty' is a joke
Last month the PUC approved a plan by FairPoint to spend the penalty money expanding broadband Internet access throughout New Hampshire. The state has long desired greater broadband coverage, particularly in the North Country. Most PUC commissioners concluded that FairPoint's offer would amount to a tremendous public benefit for the state.
True, more of the state will have broadband service if FairPoint completes this project. It also is true that FairPoint will have thousands of new customers.
FairPoint sells broadband Internet service. This is no altruistic venture; it is a business investment. The PUC has decided to punish FairPoint by making it richer. It would be like allowing an arrested Hollywood director to work off his court-ordered community service by starting a New Hampshire-based feature film production company.
The money should have been returned to FairPoint customers.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 11
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama confuses the TV world with the real one - 2
- George Will: In defense of the defenders - 0
- Roger Simon: Is Ferguson the future? - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Preview: Talent to boot - 0
- Last call at home for Fisher Cats tonight - 0
- Jessica Goldman was on the move - 0
- Band camp gets Memorial musicians in rhythm a week early - 0
- Drew Cline: Small sleights of hand in Republican primaries around NH - 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 0
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 0
- Scott and Genevieve Kelley - 0
- Dan Tuohy's Granite Status: Shaheen takes on illegal immigration - 0
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Reports: Market Basket doomsday plan would shutter 61 of 71 stores if deal not struck soon
GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help