Home » Opinion » Editorials
Keene, Vt.: NH's beer-tax capital
On Wednesday the House voted 308-35 against House Bill 168, the beer tax bill. That is a walloping. A bill that gets defeated by a ratio of almost 10-1, drawing the support of not even 10 percent of the House, ought to embarrass its sponsor. Even Congress, with a 14 percent approval rating, is more popular.
The bill's sponsor was Rep. Charles Weed, D-Keene. He is not an outlier. Five of seven representatives from Keene, and more than half of Cheshire County's entire House delegation, voted for the bill.
The two Keene representatives who voted against raising the beer tax were Reps. Delmar Burridge and Cynthia Chase. Readers might recall that Chase recently got in hot water for stating that legislators should discourage Free Staters from moving to New Hampshire by eliminating the freedoms they come here to find. Burridge is the sponsor of a bill to give counties the power to impose income taxes.
For some perspective, 71 percent of Keene's representatives voted for this bill, but not a single representative from liberal Hanover did. Geographically, Keene is to the right of Vermont. Politically, we are not so sure anymore.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Surprise, surprise: Obamacare funds abortions - 55
- Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over - 6
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 5
- Burning rubber: And public dollars - 0
- Hassan was right: 'Bullying' bill goes too far - 12
- Strategery: A war by any other name - 28
- Freeh dumb: Favoritism in Vt.? - 6
- Public be damned: Litchfield latest example - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 0
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
- College Football: Big Green kick off season vs. Cent. Connecticut - 0
- Son says shooting of mom during DEA raid was a mistake - 10
- Londonderry Rotary to host forum next week - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it