No one hurt as FPU 'Bubble' collapses
Large holes in the Franklin Pierce University "Bubble" could prolong its reopening. (MEGHAN PIERCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
The Bubble is made out of a plastic material that covers 72,000 square feet and reaches seven stories high. It is held up by a constant air flow between an outer and inside layer of the material.
It also collapsed during the 2008 ice storm.
The center serves as a recreation area and gym for the entire campus population and is also open to Rindge residents.
The facility also has a weight room and is used as an inclement weather practice facility for the university's athletic program.
Kelsey Devlin, a member of the Franklin Pierce track team, said in 2008 the Bubble was back up in within a week, however, because of the large tears in the bubble caused by the blizzard, she has been told it could take a month for the Bubble to be back up and open.
Until then Devlin said the track team will use an indoor track about 45 minutes away in Massachusetts for practice.
Franklin Pierce student Steve Nardone, who works out in the Bubble daily, said without the Bubble students won't get out and be as active as they were.
"I think the school will get it up and operational as soon as possible because sports is kind of a focus here," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Meteor lights up night sky over eastern United States - 1
- Epping residents upset by tree trimming crew's work - 4
- In snow, many work from home - 0
- 5 a.m. snow day calls not welcome by everyone - 16
- Nashua to be reimbursed for Nemo expenses - 0
- Snow buries Derry budget - 0
- North Country hopes snow extends winter season - 0
- Winter's final storm could break bank for Manchester plow budget - 3
- Snow removal puts state $6 million in hole - 13
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rabid raccoons in Hanover raise ‘rabies season’ concerns - 0
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester - 0
- Gregg named CEO of Wall Street lobbying group - 1
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack