No one hurt as FPU 'Bubble' collapses
Large holes in the Franklin Pierce University "Bubble" could prolong its reopening. (MEGHAN PIERCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
The Bubble is made out of a plastic material that covers 72,000 square feet and reaches seven stories high. It is held up by a constant air flow between an outer and inside layer of the material.
It also collapsed during the 2008 ice storm.
The center serves as a recreation area and gym for the entire campus population and is also open to Rindge residents.
The facility also has a weight room and is used as an inclement weather practice facility for the university's athletic program.
Kelsey Devlin, a member of the Franklin Pierce track team, said in 2008 the Bubble was back up in within a week, however, because of the large tears in the bubble caused by the blizzard, she has been told it could take a month for the Bubble to be back up and open.
Until then Devlin said the track team will use an indoor track about 45 minutes away in Massachusetts for practice.
Franklin Pierce student Steve Nardone, who works out in the Bubble daily, said without the Bubble students won't get out and be as active as they were.
"I think the school will get it up and operational as soon as possible because sports is kind of a focus here," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mid-April freezing and flooding give Granite Staters a rude awakening - 0
- Flooding closes PSU fields, local business - 0
- Colebrook almost became an island Tuesday night - 0
- Flooding shuts down North Country highways - 0
- Flood watch and rain follow day of near-record temperatures - 0
- Lack of 'hot spell' has made for mild mud season so far in central NH - 1
- With rain on the way, flooding potential eyed - 0
- Londonderry classrooms flooded - 0
- Spring roads make the going tough - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing