No one hurt as FPU 'Bubble' collapses
Large holes in the Franklin Pierce University "Bubble" could prolong its reopening. (MEGHAN PIERCE/Union Leader Correspondent)
The Bubble is made out of a plastic material that covers 72,000 square feet and reaches seven stories high. It is held up by a constant air flow between an outer and inside layer of the material.
It also collapsed during the 2008 ice storm.
The center serves as a recreation area and gym for the entire campus population and is also open to Rindge residents.
The facility also has a weight room and is used as an inclement weather practice facility for the university's athletic program.
Kelsey Devlin, a member of the Franklin Pierce track team, said in 2008 the Bubble was back up in within a week, however, because of the large tears in the bubble caused by the blizzard, she has been told it could take a month for the Bubble to be back up and open.
Until then Devlin said the track team will use an indoor track about 45 minutes away in Massachusetts for practice.
Franklin Pierce student Steve Nardone, who works out in the Bubble daily, said without the Bubble students won't get out and be as active as they were.
"I think the school will get it up and operational as soon as possible because sports is kind of a focus here," he said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Restaurant foundation destabilized by high water raises Route 3 Bridge, downtown Colebrook flooding concerns - 0
- Winchester roads ravaged by heavy rain - 0
- Despite heavy rains, tornado warning, Nashua OK - 0
- Wild weather strikes Granite State - 0
- Perfect weather predicted for weekend events - 0
- NH braces for a soaker, flash floods as Arthur moves up coast - 0
- Concord postpones fireworks to Saturday - 0
- LIghtning strike sends Epping house up in flames - 0
- Weather warnings push fireworks to Saturday in Rochester - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride