Home » Opinion » Editorials
Droning on: Obama's easy way out
"I never believe it's better to kill a terrorist than to detain him," Brennan said. The President, though, does. Through an unprecedented use of drones to kill terrorists in places like Afghanistan, Yemen and Pakistan, the Obama administration has taken out a lot of bad guys. The President boasted of that during last year's election campaign. He presented it as evidence that he is tough on terrorists. And he is, for which we have given him due credit in the past.
However, there always is a tradeoff, and in this tradeoff we get corpses instead of intelligence. The President who famously said there is no military solution to the problem of terrorism is applying a military solution to the problem of terrorism.
Though it is nice to see Obama acknowledge that we are engaged in a war and not a criminal prosecution, his overreliance on drones has become a serious problem.
The President would rather kill with drone strikes and keep his hands clean than capture these guys and take them to Gitmo, where we could learn enough to, maybe, dismantle their networks for good. It's how we got Osama bin Laden, after all, as Defense Secretary Leon Panetta admitted on "Meet The Press" last week.
The Obama administration's greatest coup in the War on Terror came from the interrogations of captured terrorists by the Bush administration. But the President won't use those same successful methods to finish the job. Rather than risk being called a torturer, he just orders the terrorists executed via remote control. It's so much easier that way, for him, at least.
READER COMMENTS: 4
- City papers: A flawed right-to-know policy - 3
- Revenue raiser: An economic recovery, not a casino, is what's needed - 6
- Secret arrests? Not if we can help it - 6
- Process and law: Foster's questionable circumvention - 3
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 1
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 24
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 1
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 11
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hooksett police charge local man in several BB gun complaints - 0
- Fire destroys Weare home - 0
- High winds cause power outages, fan fires across state - 0
- Downed wires spark brush fire that spreads to Manchester house - 0
- Fugitive nabbed as he checks out the weather - 0
- Bail set for TD Bank robbery suspect in Derry - 1
- Fetal homicide bill stopped in the Senate - 0
- Democrats worry about 'dirty tricks' - 0
- Truck pulls down power line, starts paint store blaze - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Michigan’s ban: Sotomayor’s ‘disadvantages’