Home » Opinion » Editorials
Droning on: Obama's easy way out
"I never believe it's better to kill a terrorist than to detain him," Brennan said. The President, though, does. Through an unprecedented use of drones to kill terrorists in places like Afghanistan, Yemen and Pakistan, the Obama administration has taken out a lot of bad guys. The President boasted of that during last year's election campaign. He presented it as evidence that he is tough on terrorists. And he is, for which we have given him due credit in the past.
However, there always is a tradeoff, and in this tradeoff we get corpses instead of intelligence. The President who famously said there is no military solution to the problem of terrorism is applying a military solution to the problem of terrorism.
Though it is nice to see Obama acknowledge that we are engaged in a war and not a criminal prosecution, his overreliance on drones has become a serious problem.
The President would rather kill with drone strikes and keep his hands clean than capture these guys and take them to Gitmo, where we could learn enough to, maybe, dismantle their networks for good. It's how we got Osama bin Laden, after all, as Defense Secretary Leon Panetta admitted on "Meet The Press" last week.
The Obama administration's greatest coup in the War on Terror came from the interrogations of captured terrorists by the Bush administration. But the President won't use those same successful methods to finish the job. Rather than risk being called a torturer, he just orders the terrorists executed via remote control. It's so much easier that way, for him, at least.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ryan Pitts: Reluctant hero - 0
- Relief and questions: Abby Hernandez returns home - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 56
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 3
- Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal - 33
- Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility - 8
- What Bartlett left: A Founding Father mostly forgotten - 1
- Hang Havenstein! He once quoted the President - 4
- Obama's priority: Raising money - 36
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
- Cheshire Historical Society receives nearly $1 million - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket
Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health