History made: White perch wins Great Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby
His victory marked the first in the history of the derby that an angler has won with anything other than a rainbow trout.
Under the old rules, the largest prizes went to the largest rainbow trout, but this year, derby organizers decided to hold a drawing among the anglers bringing in the top fish in all categories - lake trout, rainbow trout, white perch, yellow perch, cusk, pickerel, and black crappie.
It was Head's first derby victory. For his catch of a 2.76 white perch, caught on Big Squam Lake, he was entered into the final drawing. He couldn't believe his ears, he said, when his name was called for the top prize, $15,000 cash.
"I can't believe it," he said. When asked what he would do with the prize money, he answered, "I don't know yet."
Second place, a prize of $5,000, went to Lawrence Shipley of Belmont. Third place, $3,000, went to Thomas Knight of Hampton.
In past years, the top three prizes have been vehicles and fishing equipment. This year, having learned that some recent prize winners had sold their prizes for cash, and given the slow economy, derby organizers decided to award cash as prizes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- (No heading) - 0
- League of NH Craftsmen’s Fair to feature more than 200 craft booths, with workshops, exhibitions and demos - 0
- Pittsfield Rotary Hot Air Balloon Rally to lift off - 0
- 'New England Cove' on display through August 30 - 0
- Rock-blues band Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes in Hampton - 0
- Chainsaws, Guitars and Laughs - 0
- Antiques Week brings treatures to the table in NH - 0
- The Band Perry to play in Gilford - 0
- 3 Doors Down cranks down the volume with unplugged Seacoast concert - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Convicted sex offender faces porn charges
Punch line: The NFL blows it