History made: White perch wins Great Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby
As weather clears, Great Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby draws crowd
His victory marked the first in the history of the derby that an angler has won with anything other than a rainbow trout.
Under the old rules, the largest prizes went to the largest rainbow trout, but this year, derby organizers decided to hold a drawing among the anglers bringing in the top fish in all categories - lake trout, rainbow trout, white perch, yellow perch, cusk, pickerel, and black crappie.
It was Head's first derby victory. For his catch of a 2.76 white perch, caught on Big Squam Lake, he was entered into the final drawing. He couldn't believe his ears, he said, when his name was called for the top prize, $15,000 cash.
"I can't believe it," he said. When asked what he would do with the prize money, he answered, "I don't know yet."
Second place, a prize of $5,000, went to Lawrence Shipley of Belmont. Third place, $3,000, went to Thomas Knight of Hampton.
In past years, the top three prizes have been vehicles and fishing equipment. This year, having learned that some recent prize winners had sold their prizes for cash, and given the slow economy, derby organizers decided to award cash as prizes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Things to know for the holiday, from region to region - 0
- State puts out call for foster parents - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: With ground rules, cats and dogs can live together at lake house - 0
- Dave Anderson's Forest Journal: Evidence abounds that spring is bruins season - 0
- Sweet Neem offers a social gathering for foodies - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Flounder fishing is best in Boston - 0
- Memorial Day services, events around NH - 0
- Flags should be half-staff Monday, Thursday for holiday - 0
- Two seriously injured in head-on crash in Bedford - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
Concert to aid Nashua man with rare disease
Memorial Day services, events around NH
Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: With ground rules, cats and dogs can live together at lake house
State puts out call for foster parents
Bedford Market Basket opening delayed