History made: White perch wins Great Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby
His victory marked the first in the history of the derby that an angler has won with anything other than a rainbow trout.
Under the old rules, the largest prizes went to the largest rainbow trout, but this year, derby organizers decided to hold a drawing among the anglers bringing in the top fish in all categories - lake trout, rainbow trout, white perch, yellow perch, cusk, pickerel, and black crappie.
It was Head's first derby victory. For his catch of a 2.76 white perch, caught on Big Squam Lake, he was entered into the final drawing. He couldn't believe his ears, he said, when his name was called for the top prize, $15,000 cash.
"I can't believe it," he said. When asked what he would do with the prize money, he answered, "I don't know yet."
Second place, a prize of $5,000, went to Lawrence Shipley of Belmont. Third place, $3,000, went to Thomas Knight of Hampton.
In past years, the top three prizes have been vehicles and fishing equipment. This year, having learned that some recent prize winners had sold their prizes for cash, and given the slow economy, derby organizers decided to award cash as prizes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Crotched Mountain Accessible Recreation and Sports brings back adaptive shooting clinics - 0
- Goffstown selectmen support solar panel tax exemption - 0
- Latest Salem school project coming in under budget - 0
- Bedford gets stellar Moody's Investor rating - 0
- Family releases letter Foley wrote in captivity - 0
- Chester man took wife's advice to win Vegas jackpot - 0
- Plymouth senior center gets grant to fix sprinkler system - 0
- Auburn teen refusing to 'duck' debilitating disease - 0
- Senior News: Lifelong Learning Institute opens fall class registration today - 0
NH couple hit slot for $2.4m in Las Vegas
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Obama waits: A terror threat grows
Market Basket: 'So close, yet so far'