History made: White perch wins Great Meredith Rotary Ice Fishing Derby
His victory marked the first in the history of the derby that an angler has won with anything other than a rainbow trout.
Under the old rules, the largest prizes went to the largest rainbow trout, but this year, derby organizers decided to hold a drawing among the anglers bringing in the top fish in all categories - lake trout, rainbow trout, white perch, yellow perch, cusk, pickerel, and black crappie.
It was Head's first derby victory. For his catch of a 2.76 white perch, caught on Big Squam Lake, he was entered into the final drawing. He couldn't believe his ears, he said, when his name was called for the top prize, $15,000 cash.
"I can't believe it," he said. When asked what he would do with the prize money, he answered, "I don't know yet."
Second place, a prize of $5,000, went to Lawrence Shipley of Belmont. Third place, $3,000, went to Thomas Knight of Hampton.
In past years, the top three prizes have been vehicles and fishing equipment. This year, having learned that some recent prize winners had sold their prizes for cash, and given the slow economy, derby organizers decided to award cash as prizes.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- After board OK's extension, Manchester mayor slams Hooksett tuition offer - 0
- Operation Santa helps disabled, elderly residents - 0
- Salem Christmas Fund donors - 0
- Farm movement founders honored at community agricultural day ceremony - 0
- Salem High opts out of federal program in effort to get more students to buy lunch - 0
- Villa Augustina parent board says Goffstown schools not only prospective buyer - 0
- Goffstown schools eyeing former Villa Augustina building - 0
- Jack Savage's Forest Journal: Howling in suburbia: Coyotes and the 'Beau Geste' - 0
- Whiskey jacks and camp at Unknown Pond - 0
NH's fishing industry staggered
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll
NH senators react to Hagel resignation