Home » News » Public Safety
Morning fire displaces 24 in West Lebanon apartment building
No one was injured.
Firefighters were called to the two-story building at 81 Seminary Hill Road about 9 a.m. for a report of smoke coming from the 12-unit building.
Lebanon police found light smoke throughout the first and second floors and the basement. Police evacuated all residents while firefighters discovered a small fire under the front stairwell in a basement apartment.
"The fire was quickly extinguished, but due to the location and wood charring above the area of fire, the area required extensive overhaul to ensure there was no fire extension," a fire department official said.
There was minor smoke and water damage.
"Due to the extensive damage to the front stairwell, all 24 tenants have been displaced until repairs can be made," the fire department official said.
The Vermont/New Hampshire Chapter of the Red Cross assisted with residents' temporary lodging and other needs.
The road was closed for about an hour. Firefighters cleared the scene at 10:24 a.m.
Hanover and Hartford, Vermont fire departments assisted. Enfield provided station coverage.
The fire is under investigation but is not considered suspicious.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden - 1
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Dover woman charged after crash into Dover toll plaza - 2
- Boy out walking hit, injured by Jeep in Newton - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
- Spofford crash seriously injures two - 0
- Fire destroys barn in South Hampton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
- Police: Laconia man threatened harm to toddler - 0
- Sen. Ayotte pushes for bigger broadband bang for buck - 0
- Hanover’s Grabill named top regional soccer coach - 0
- Londonderry's Aliza Simpson chooses UNH for basketball - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs yet to flip switch on power play - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: A.J. Pierzynski OK with Red Sox - 0
- Nashua aldermanic committee votes to help soup kitchen - 0
Somersworth man dies in head-on crash with car driven by Dover City Councilor Michael Weeden
Ex-Tyco CEO granted parole
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown cites NH as example of Obamacare 'trainwreck,' will keynote NHGOP event
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072