Home » News » Public Safety
Morning fire displaces 24 in West Lebanon apartment building
No one was injured.
Firefighters were called to the two-story building at 81 Seminary Hill Road about 9 a.m. for a report of smoke coming from the 12-unit building.
Lebanon police found light smoke throughout the first and second floors and the basement. Police evacuated all residents while firefighters discovered a small fire under the front stairwell in a basement apartment.
"The fire was quickly extinguished, but due to the location and wood charring above the area of fire, the area required extensive overhaul to ensure there was no fire extension," a fire department official said.
There was minor smoke and water damage.
"Due to the extensive damage to the front stairwell, all 24 tenants have been displaced until repairs can be made," the fire department official said.
The Vermont/New Hampshire Chapter of the Red Cross assisted with residents' temporary lodging and other needs.
The road was closed for about an hour. Firefighters cleared the scene at 10:24 a.m.
Hanover and Hartford, Vermont fire departments assisted. Enfield provided station coverage.
The fire is under investigation but is not considered suspicious.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2 officers, Weare face civil suit over 2012 burglary arrest - 25
- Extreme skier's handgun found, returned to him - 8
- Antrim fire damages cape - 0
- Merrimack students get a sobering lesson about drinking and driving - 0
- Two crashes reported on I-93 in Canterbury, Londonderry - 0
- Man killed in Seabrook fire identified - 0
- UPDATE: Search suspended for Northfield man a second day - 0
- Serious Concord crash injures Mass. woman - 0
- Concord police seek help locating homeless man - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: It's time to make legislative sausage - 0
- Memory of bombings remains vivid for those who were there - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: No power play in aldermanic chambers, mayor in good spirits - 1
- On Baseball: Locke pitches game in minor league rehab - 0
- NH's top prospects happy to be part of Boston - 0
- Relative newcomers vie for Boston title - 0
- NH College Notebook: Franklin Pierce's King named to 18U coaching staff - 0
- Andy Schachat's On the Run: New Hampshire makes a big deal about Boston Marathon - 0
- Another View - Ahad Fazelat: How Medicare reimbursement numbers are misleading - 0
Man electrocuted at Keene brush fire
A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data
Mike Cote's Business Editor's Notebook: Restaurant owner faces up to challenge of Obamacare
'He is risen': 'As he said'