Home » News » Public Safety
Morning fire displaces 24 in West Lebanon apartment building
No one was injured.
Firefighters were called to the two-story building at 81 Seminary Hill Road about 9 a.m. for a report of smoke coming from the 12-unit building.
Lebanon police found light smoke throughout the first and second floors and the basement. Police evacuated all residents while firefighters discovered a small fire under the front stairwell in a basement apartment.
"The fire was quickly extinguished, but due to the location and wood charring above the area of fire, the area required extensive overhaul to ensure there was no fire extension," a fire department official said.
There was minor smoke and water damage.
"Due to the extensive damage to the front stairwell, all 24 tenants have been displaced until repairs can be made," the fire department official said.
The Vermont/New Hampshire Chapter of the Red Cross assisted with residents' temporary lodging and other needs.
The road was closed for about an hour. Firefighters cleared the scene at 10:24 a.m.
Hanover and Hartford, Vermont fire departments assisted. Enfield provided station coverage.
The fire is under investigation but is not considered suspicious.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Check those pool filters for another invasive species - 0
- Lowell apartment house fire claims 7 lives, including three children - 0
- Posting of recent standoff has Free Keene bloggers taking heat - 2
- State Police Marine Patrol IDs Duncan Lake drowning victim - 0
- Lost Massachusetts hikers found safe in NH - 0
- City police schedule community meeting - 1
- Missing Massachusetts woman returns home - 0
- Nashua man's condition upgraded after Hudson bicycle-car collision - 0
- Missing autistic Maine teen found in Jefferson woods - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy - 0
- Allen Lessels on Motor Sports: Craven loves qualifying format - 0
- City summer: Check out Manchester - 0
- Revenge? Shea needs none - 0
- Bonner rock'n the hardware - 0
- On Baseball: G'days for Berti boosted his game - 0
- Special Section: Readers' Choice 2014 - 0
- Officials probe fire at Jaffrey trash sorting building - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Pilgrims - 0
Community groups profit from race week
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?