Home » News » Public Safety
Morning fire displaces 24 in West Lebanon apartment building
No one was injured.
Firefighters were called to the two-story building at 81 Seminary Hill Road about 9 a.m. for a report of smoke coming from the 12-unit building.
Lebanon police found light smoke throughout the first and second floors and the basement. Police evacuated all residents while firefighters discovered a small fire under the front stairwell in a basement apartment.
"The fire was quickly extinguished, but due to the location and wood charring above the area of fire, the area required extensive overhaul to ensure there was no fire extension," a fire department official said.
There was minor smoke and water damage.
"Due to the extensive damage to the front stairwell, all 24 tenants have been displaced until repairs can be made," the fire department official said.
The Vermont/New Hampshire Chapter of the Red Cross assisted with residents' temporary lodging and other needs.
The road was closed for about an hour. Firefighters cleared the scene at 10:24 a.m.
Hanover and Hartford, Vermont fire departments assisted. Enfield provided station coverage.
The fire is under investigation but is not considered suspicious.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
- ATV sinks trying to skim water of Weirs Beach - 0
- Fire destroys vacant Nashua building - 0
- Pre-St. Pat's party at UMass turns violent, 43 arrested - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man who defrauded banks in mortgage foreclosure scheme gets 6 years - 0
- March storm brings accumulation mystery, maybe misery - 0
- Manchester’s Slebodnick stars in Cornell’s title win - 0
- NHIAA Girls’ Div. I final four offers intriguing matchups - 0
- Goffstown voters have lots to consider with schools - 0
- With snow budget depleted, Nashua dips into trust fund - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: Graffiti charge keeps teen’s bail from changing - 0
- Police union contract a top concern for Bedford voters - 0
- Proposed school budget creates stir in Allenstown - 0
Taken for a ride: Hooksett’s Pinkerton deal
Manchester schools project budget surplus
Dover man found not guilty of sex assault but convicted of drugging three women in Portsmouth