Home » News » Public Safety
Morning fire displaces 24 in West Lebanon apartment building
No one was injured.
Firefighters were called to the two-story building at 81 Seminary Hill Road about 9 a.m. for a report of smoke coming from the 12-unit building.
Lebanon police found light smoke throughout the first and second floors and the basement. Police evacuated all residents while firefighters discovered a small fire under the front stairwell in a basement apartment.
"The fire was quickly extinguished, but due to the location and wood charring above the area of fire, the area required extensive overhaul to ensure there was no fire extension," a fire department official said.
There was minor smoke and water damage.
"Due to the extensive damage to the front stairwell, all 24 tenants have been displaced until repairs can be made," the fire department official said.
The Vermont/New Hampshire Chapter of the Red Cross assisted with residents' temporary lodging and other needs.
The road was closed for about an hour. Firefighters cleared the scene at 10:24 a.m.
Hanover and Hartford, Vermont fire departments assisted. Enfield provided station coverage.
The fire is under investigation but is not considered suspicious.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three-alarm fire damages Nashua church; parishioners out safe - 0
- Power outage knocks machine offline at Gorham Paper and Tissue - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 1
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 2
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
- Wakefield woman dies in crash; Rye woman crashes into utility pole - 0
- Wakefield woman killed in Milton crash - 0
- Portsmouth police locate, arrest driver after accident - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gubernatorial candidate Hemingway proposes NH tax system fix - 0
- Hanover co-op to meet on fired workers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Elm Street's resurgence includes a good workout - 0
- Your turn, NH -- Kate Pemberton: What a First Lady taught me about being a woman - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notes: My favorite things from one week this summer - 0
- Motivation Matters: Get rid of deficiency, not employee - 0
- Sam Asano's Let's Invent: Inventors need to have lots of intuition, instincts, creativity - 0
- Bedford man creates insurance rating system - 0
- No compromise: We win, you lose - 0
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
DIY addition draws city's, neighbors' ire
Bedford man creates insurance rating system
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms
The U.S. is a beacon still
NH Legal Perspectives: U.S. Supreme Court says homecare workers not required to pay fee to unions
Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson
Red Sox' Holt has All-Star history