Home » News » Public Safety
Morning fire displaces 24 in West Lebanon apartment building
No one was injured.
Firefighters were called to the two-story building at 81 Seminary Hill Road about 9 a.m. for a report of smoke coming from the 12-unit building.
Lebanon police found light smoke throughout the first and second floors and the basement. Police evacuated all residents while firefighters discovered a small fire under the front stairwell in a basement apartment.
"The fire was quickly extinguished, but due to the location and wood charring above the area of fire, the area required extensive overhaul to ensure there was no fire extension," a fire department official said.
There was minor smoke and water damage.
"Due to the extensive damage to the front stairwell, all 24 tenants have been displaced until repairs can be made," the fire department official said.
The Vermont/New Hampshire Chapter of the Red Cross assisted with residents' temporary lodging and other needs.
The road was closed for about an hour. Firefighters cleared the scene at 10:24 a.m.
Hanover and Hartford, Vermont fire departments assisted. Enfield provided station coverage.
The fire is under investigation but is not considered suspicious.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 0
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 0
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Win tickets to see Steven Wright