Home » News » Public Safety
DMV warns of fee-charging, unofficial license renewal websites
The DMV's official website - www.dmv.nh.gov - has the wording, "An Official State of New Hampshire Government Website," at the top right-hand corner of the site.
Unofficial sites will charge extra fees, DMV Director Richard C. Bailey Jr. said Monday.
"People should be sure to enter the exact web address that is listed on their renewal notification letter in the web address line, not on a search line," Bailey said. "If they do a web search to find it, they might not reach the official DMV site."
The cost to renew a five-year, operator-only driver license is $50.
"There are no additional charges for renewing a license online." Bailey said. "Anyone who reaches a website that imposes additional charges should exit that site immediately. These sites don't offer anything that the official DMV website doesn't provide for free."
Anyone with questions about online renewal may call 227-4020 or email NH.onlineDL@dos.nh.gov.
Most New Hampshire drivers are eligible for online renewal. Anyone holding a New Hampshire driver's license receives a letter several weeks before the license expires. If the driver is eligible for online renewal, the letter contains a 10-digit renewal identification number and instructions for online renewal. Also needed are a computer with Internet access and a printer, the current license and a valid MasterCard or Visa credit card.
In 2012, more than 48,000 New Hampshire drivers renewed their licenses online and saved themselves a trip to the DMV. That is nearly 27 percent of eligible drivers. Online renewal has been available in New Hampshire since December 2009.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Group raising money for family of Raymond man killed by boulder - 0
- Newly renovated Blair Covered Bridge damaged by truck - 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 15
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Goffstown's Bourque impresses; Memorial, Bishop Guertin, Pinkerton win in Queen City Jamboree - 0
- Hanover boys soccer edges defense-minded BG - 0
- NH Fisher Cats, Pierre stun Rock Cats in 4-3 win - 0
- Helping hands for new St. Anselm students in Manchester on move in day - 0
- To market, to market: Market Basket shoppers flock on in - 1
- Nashua Market Basket employee: 'Worth every day of work lost' - 2
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 1
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 0
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test