Home » News » Public Safety
DMV warns of fee-charging, unofficial license renewal websites
The DMV's official website - www.dmv.nh.gov - has the wording, "An Official State of New Hampshire Government Website," at the top right-hand corner of the site.
Unofficial sites will charge extra fees, DMV Director Richard C. Bailey Jr. said Monday.
"People should be sure to enter the exact web address that is listed on their renewal notification letter in the web address line, not on a search line," Bailey said. "If they do a web search to find it, they might not reach the official DMV site."
The cost to renew a five-year, operator-only driver license is $50.
"There are no additional charges for renewing a license online." Bailey said. "Anyone who reaches a website that imposes additional charges should exit that site immediately. These sites don't offer anything that the official DMV website doesn't provide for free."
Anyone with questions about online renewal may call 227-4020 or email NH.onlineDL@dos.nh.gov.
Most New Hampshire drivers are eligible for online renewal. Anyone holding a New Hampshire driver's license receives a letter several weeks before the license expires. If the driver is eligible for online renewal, the letter contains a 10-digit renewal identification number and instructions for online renewal. Also needed are a computer with Internet access and a printer, the current license and a valid MasterCard or Visa credit card.
In 2012, more than 48,000 New Hampshire drivers renewed their licenses online and saved themselves a trip to the DMV. That is nearly 27 percent of eligible drivers. Online renewal has been available in New Hampshire since December 2009.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- State revokes license for New Hampshire childcare center amid abuse allegations - 1
- Downed wires shuts Concord street - 0
- Quick-acting Litchfield woman jumps into canoe and paddles to rescue of kayaker - 1
- Man's story about stab wound questioned by Laconia police - 0
- Two fires in Manchester - 0
- Indictments issued in fatal crashes in Dover, Barrington, Rochester - 1
- Father of missing Conway teen says he wants custody of his daughter - 0
- Mass. man safe after crashing plane into Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Lebanon police lieutenant resigns during internal probe into faking of fitness test results - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UNH library halts book disposal after complaints - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: Valenti Modified race was top shelf - 0
- Manchester school official points to 7 weapons cases not brought to conduct committee - 0
- Edie Loeb Tomasko dies, leaves UpReach Therapeutic Riding Center legacy - 0
- Witt named UNH women’s hockey coach - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Bedford boys remains focused on third title - 0
- Fisher Cats steal home, beat New Britain - 0
- Executive Council vote: Centralized immunization registry becoming a reality - 0
- Littleton music store still playing the right notes - 0
New Hampshire Club Notes
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison