Home » News » Public Safety
DMV warns of fee-charging, unofficial license renewal websites
The DMV's official website - www.dmv.nh.gov - has the wording, "An Official State of New Hampshire Government Website," at the top right-hand corner of the site.
Unofficial sites will charge extra fees, DMV Director Richard C. Bailey Jr. said Monday.
"People should be sure to enter the exact web address that is listed on their renewal notification letter in the web address line, not on a search line," Bailey said. "If they do a web search to find it, they might not reach the official DMV site."
The cost to renew a five-year, operator-only driver license is $50.
"There are no additional charges for renewing a license online." Bailey said. "Anyone who reaches a website that imposes additional charges should exit that site immediately. These sites don't offer anything that the official DMV website doesn't provide for free."
Anyone with questions about online renewal may call 227-4020 or email NH.onlineDL@dos.nh.gov.
Most New Hampshire drivers are eligible for online renewal. Anyone holding a New Hampshire driver's license receives a letter several weeks before the license expires. If the driver is eligible for online renewal, the letter contains a 10-digit renewal identification number and instructions for online renewal. Also needed are a computer with Internet access and a printer, the current license and a valid MasterCard or Visa credit card.
In 2012, more than 48,000 New Hampshire drivers renewed their licenses online and saved themselves a trip to the DMV. That is nearly 27 percent of eligible drivers. Online renewal has been available in New Hampshire since December 2009.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 4
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 0
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
- Trashed lunches: Brownies, broccoli and bucks - 7
- Hampstead's Suess ready for Whelen Modified race - 0
Supporters eager for Hillary's return to NH
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'