Home » News » Public Safety
DMV warns of fee-charging, unofficial license renewal websites
The DMV's official website - www.dmv.nh.gov - has the wording, "An Official State of New Hampshire Government Website," at the top right-hand corner of the site.
Unofficial sites will charge extra fees, DMV Director Richard C. Bailey Jr. said Monday.
"People should be sure to enter the exact web address that is listed on their renewal notification letter in the web address line, not on a search line," Bailey said. "If they do a web search to find it, they might not reach the official DMV site."
The cost to renew a five-year, operator-only driver license is $50.
"There are no additional charges for renewing a license online." Bailey said. "Anyone who reaches a website that imposes additional charges should exit that site immediately. These sites don't offer anything that the official DMV website doesn't provide for free."
Anyone with questions about online renewal may call 227-4020 or email NH.onlineDL@dos.nh.gov.
Most New Hampshire drivers are eligible for online renewal. Anyone holding a New Hampshire driver's license receives a letter several weeks before the license expires. If the driver is eligible for online renewal, the letter contains a 10-digit renewal identification number and instructions for online renewal. Also needed are a computer with Internet access and a printer, the current license and a valid MasterCard or Visa credit card.
In 2012, more than 48,000 New Hampshire drivers renewed their licenses online and saved themselves a trip to the DMV. That is nearly 27 percent of eligible drivers. Online renewal has been available in New Hampshire since December 2009.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police investigate two crashes involving two cruisers - 3
- Boy on scooter hits moving vehicle, taken to hospital - 0
- State police: Vermont man drove 111 mph on I-89 - 0
- Agency missteps leave motorists in dark on air-bag defects - 0
- Manchester fire victim was Army vet who had recently moved to city - 0
- Man who died in Manchester blaze identified as Vietnam War-era veteran; cigarette was fire cause - 0
- New Boston firefighters share safety tips with school - 0
- UPDATED: Driver killed in crash on Route 101A in Amherst is identified - 1
- Need a job? The NH State Prison wants you - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man shot by Nashua officer to plead guilty to some charges, avoid trial - 0
- Lamontagne, accomplice in Bedford home invasion, sentenced to 6 to 22 years - 1
- NHIAA Boys' Soccer Tournaments: Div. I looks wide open - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Browner, 'D' shaping up - 0
- Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens - 2
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 1
- Manchester school health costs down, but plans called 'generous' - 0
- Manchester school board reaffirms 'get tough' policy for student assaults - 3
Baby found in Gilmanton meth lab raid
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw
KSC student facing charges related to riot
Tea Party PAC endorses Scott Brown
2nd CD post-debate 'spin room': Garcia 'shocked' at how many times Kuster interrupted her
Another View -- Marilinda Garcia: Rep. Ann Kuster has not been a help to NH senior citizens
Lyndeborough's new Christmas tree destroyed
UNH Survey Center poll: Kuster leads Garcia