Home » News » Public Safety
DMV warns of fee-charging, unofficial license renewal websites
The DMV's official website - www.dmv.nh.gov - has the wording, "An Official State of New Hampshire Government Website," at the top right-hand corner of the site.
Unofficial sites will charge extra fees, DMV Director Richard C. Bailey Jr. said Monday.
"People should be sure to enter the exact web address that is listed on their renewal notification letter in the web address line, not on a search line," Bailey said. "If they do a web search to find it, they might not reach the official DMV site."
The cost to renew a five-year, operator-only driver license is $50.
"There are no additional charges for renewing a license online." Bailey said. "Anyone who reaches a website that imposes additional charges should exit that site immediately. These sites don't offer anything that the official DMV website doesn't provide for free."
Anyone with questions about online renewal may call 227-4020 or email NH.onlineDL@dos.nh.gov.
Most New Hampshire drivers are eligible for online renewal. Anyone holding a New Hampshire driver's license receives a letter several weeks before the license expires. If the driver is eligible for online renewal, the letter contains a 10-digit renewal identification number and instructions for online renewal. Also needed are a computer with Internet access and a printer, the current license and a valid MasterCard or Visa credit card.
In 2012, more than 48,000 New Hampshire drivers renewed their licenses online and saved themselves a trip to the DMV. That is nearly 27 percent of eligible drivers. Online renewal has been available in New Hampshire since December 2009.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Injured dirt bike rider in ICU - 0
- Woman who jumped in front of Amtrak train identified - 0
- Busy day for White Mountain National Forest rescuers - 0
- Franklin convenience store damaged by fire - 0
- Derry firefighters commended; fire investigation continues - 0
- Deadly crash driver: 'I was distracted' - 0
- Tactical team takes man, 71, into custody - 0
- Hudson rider misses jump, crashes bike - 0
- Injured hiker carried to safety off Mount Israel in Sandwich - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Review of West High intruder case to be behind closed doors - 0
- Another View -- Daniel Barrick: Manchester's schools face some serious challenges - 0
- Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance - 0
- Representing whom? Jeanne Shaheen, leftist icon - 0
- Chiefly, Pats are horrible in Monday night blowout in K.C. - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Double-overtime goal sends Goffstown past John Stark in boys' soccer - 0
- UNH gridders jump one spot in national polls - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Offseason needs aplenty - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey: Merrill's hat trick lifts Winnacunnet - 0
Dredging planned for Milford's Osgood Pond
Racism in Lincoln? Looks more like ignorance
Hillary Clinton to join Shaheen fundraiser