Parents of truants have day in court
They were among the first truancy cases to appear before a Rochester District Court judge since the option took effect Jan. 1.
One parent failed to show in court, while two others pleaded not guilty and will return for a trial later next month. They could face a first-time fine of $250, according to officials.
Under the new program, parents of truant students must appear in court, where they choose between going to trial - which could end with a maximum fine of $1,000 - or take four, hour-long classes with their child.
The program is intended to target the most drastic cases of students who fail to go to school.
The worst offender missed more than 65 days of classes in one school year, according to officials.
The city hopes the effort will reduce the majority of the truancy issues and allow officials to focus resources on educating more students, rather than tracking them down.
For more information, visit www.rochesterschools.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 0
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
- AG eyes whether credibility issue may undermine some Rockingham County convictions - 0
Police say man attacked woman with sword
The Music Hall presents 'Messiah Sing'
- Do you like the new University of New Hampshire logo?
- Total Votes: 383