Parents of truants have day in court
They were among the first truancy cases to appear before a Rochester District Court judge since the option took effect Jan. 1.
One parent failed to show in court, while two others pleaded not guilty and will return for a trial later next month. They could face a first-time fine of $250, according to officials.
Under the new program, parents of truant students must appear in court, where they choose between going to trial - which could end with a maximum fine of $1,000 - or take four, hour-long classes with their child.
The program is intended to target the most drastic cases of students who fail to go to school.
The worst offender missed more than 65 days of classes in one school year, according to officials.
The city hopes the effort will reduce the majority of the truancy issues and allow officials to focus resources on educating more students, rather than tracking them down.
For more information, visit www.rochesterschools.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Danville police chief's challenger says department in dire shape - 0
- Cruiser video systems await Barnstead voters' OK - 0
- Inter-Lakes school voters pass articles, add custodian - 0
- Dunbarton voters to decide on $2.17M budget - 0
- Eliminating budget group focus of deliberative session - 0
- Hanover voters approve school renovations - 0
- Incumbent selectmen challenged in Pelham - 0
- Hudson voters to decide fate of five union contracts - 0
- Hooksett School Board candidate drops out - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pair rescues dog from frozen Raymond river - 0
- Police seek robber of Nashua convenience store - 0
- Exeter police say man briefly suffocated 3-year-old girl - 0
- Pilot safe after crash landing on Alton ice runway - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 7