Parents of truants have day in court
They were among the first truancy cases to appear before a Rochester District Court judge since the option took effect Jan. 1.
One parent failed to show in court, while two others pleaded not guilty and will return for a trial later next month. They could face a first-time fine of $250, according to officials.
Under the new program, parents of truant students must appear in court, where they choose between going to trial - which could end with a maximum fine of $1,000 - or take four, hour-long classes with their child.
The program is intended to target the most drastic cases of students who fail to go to school.
The worst offender missed more than 65 days of classes in one school year, according to officials.
The city hopes the effort will reduce the majority of the truancy issues and allow officials to focus resources on educating more students, rather than tracking them down.
For more information, visit www.rochesterschools.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sanbornton voters add money back into budget - 0
- Sanbornton voters say no to SB 2 - 0
- Old building, new roads on Peterborough warrant - 0
- Sanbornton to vote again on SB2 - 0
- Employee pay, dump trucks key Sanbornton warrant - 0
- Proposed New London budget shows 3 percent increase - 0
- Conway voters ok school budget, but reject teacher's contract - 0
- Ortega, Barnes reelected to Merrimack School Board - 0
- Merrimack polls open today - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Garry Rayno's State House Dome: Will House, Senate continue the feud? - 0
- Ted Siefer's City Hall: City down to the wire on school budget, superintendent - 0
- Service planned for mother of Newtown school shooter - 0
- ENH Power parent firm accused of false advertising - 0
- Soldier from Pelham remembered for self-sacrifice - 0
- New Hampshire energy suppliers announce new alliance - 0
- Mont Vernon murder mastermind drops appeal, citing 'personal and moral' reasons - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Are B's destiny's darlings? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Lackey's performance key for Sox - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
- Should schools do more to police food and beverages consumed at school?
- Total Votes: 112