Parents of truants have day in court
They were among the first truancy cases to appear before a Rochester District Court judge since the option took effect Jan. 1.
One parent failed to show in court, while two others pleaded not guilty and will return for a trial later next month. They could face a first-time fine of $250, according to officials.
Under the new program, parents of truant students must appear in court, where they choose between going to trial - which could end with a maximum fine of $1,000 - or take four, hour-long classes with their child.
The program is intended to target the most drastic cases of students who fail to go to school.
The worst offender missed more than 65 days of classes in one school year, according to officials.
The city hopes the effort will reduce the majority of the truancy issues and allow officials to focus resources on educating more students, rather than tracking them down.
For more information, visit www.rochesterschools.com.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- New London voters pass municipal budget - 0
- Peterborough voters say no to cluster housing, yes to village zone - 0
- Newport voters say yes to police and DPW raises - 0
- Hooksett voters OK budget, police pact - 0
- Voters reject propane-only heating plan at Lafayette Regional School - 0
- Zoning measures against sprawl on Peterborough Town Meeting ballot - 0
- Town engineer, budget increase on Hooksett ballot - 0
- New London residents to vote on $1.17 million budget - 0
- Sanbornton to vote on cruisers, voting date - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Portland takes first of two from NH Fisher Cats Saturday - 0
- Readers' Choice winners say public vote is meaningful - 0
- Amherst mini-golf course is readers' top choice - 0
- Twins Smoke Shop focuses on good cigars, happy clients - 0
- 'Backstage' NASCAR passes are fans' delight in Loudon - 0
- Motorcyclist killed, passenger injured when hit by car in Manchester accident - 0
- Bicyclist injured when hit by car in Hudson - 0
- Police hope for driving dream, but prepared for driving nightmare in Loudon - 0
- Police investigate serious accident in Manchester - 0
New Hampshire events starting on July 13
Houston hands Red Sox a loss Saturday
With the NASCAR fans, Jr.'s The Man
VA woes across the country led NH to reforms