Home » News » Public Safety
Off-duty Manchester firefighter cited for jumping into action at Mass. crash scene
The rollover accident took place last Thursday on Interstate 93 in Methuen.
Defina said the woman he worked on was unconscious and not breathing; he maintained the effort after paramedics arrived.
Massachusetts State Police said Groton resident Nicole Deluca, 23, was thrown from the car and died. A 7-year-old boy was seriously hurt.
"I was pretty sure she wasn't going to make it," Defina said. Still, his actions won praise from Manchester Fire Chief Jim Burkush.
"I like to think everybody helps whenever they can," Burkush said. "With us, there's no hesitation."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Memorial heroic in NHIAA Div. I basketball semifinal defeat - 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 2
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal