Home » Opinion » Editorials
Pinned: The Olympics without wrestling?
The International Olympic Committee voted on Tuesday to remove wrestling from the Olympic games starting in 2020. According to news reports, factors considered were television viewership and ticket sales. Another possible factor: The United States has excelled in wrestling, winning 125 medals, including 50 gold. The IOC dropped baseball and softball almost certainly because of U.S. dominance. Perhaps wrestling suffered the same prejudice.
New York Times sports writer Ron Dicker has written that wrestling "virtually defined the original Olympic Games as the marquee event." These days, being a marquee event seems to be key to maintaining Olympic status, even though one of the points of the Olympics is to provide a showcase for amateur athletes who participate in sports that are not professionalized. But who needs intellectual honesty or consistency when there are billions of dollars in television revenues to be had?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Competitors vie for heptathlon, decathlon titles - 0
- Rosters set for NH/Vt. lacrosse games - 0
- Sibling rivalries abound on track for decathlon, heptathlon - 0
- Coaches' All-Division girls' lacrosse teams - 0
- NH Boys' Lacrosse Coaches Association all-division teams - 0
- Former SNHU athletic director Chip Polak says he's Trinity's new AD - 2
- John Habib's High School Track: New England meet was Coe-Brown’s day in sun - 0
- Roger Brown's Diamond Notes: Unpredictable endings spice up NHIAA baseball, softball tournaments - 0
- Ian Clark's High School Lacrosse: Moving experiences - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATED: Senate mum on House proposal for special session on Medicare - 3
- Recent 'Fugitive of the Week' Michelle Smith captured in Nashua - 0
- UPDATED: Senate, House negotiators mull compromise plan to narrowly align state insurance rules with 'Obamacare' - 1
- UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 21
- UPDATE: Salem student receives minor injuries in bus crash - 0
- 21 in Concord wake to find their tires slashed - 0
- NH man to be tried in $13 million mortgage fraud scheme - 0
- UPDATE: Elderly Nashua couple were stabbed to death - 12
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 5
UPDATED: Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off