Home » Opinion » Editorials
Pinned: The Olympics without wrestling?
The International Olympic Committee voted on Tuesday to remove wrestling from the Olympic games starting in 2020. According to news reports, factors considered were television viewership and ticket sales. Another possible factor: The United States has excelled in wrestling, winning 125 medals, including 50 gold. The IOC dropped baseball and softball almost certainly because of U.S. dominance. Perhaps wrestling suffered the same prejudice.
New York Times sports writer Ron Dicker has written that wrestling "virtually defined the original Olympic Games as the marquee event." These days, being a marquee event seems to be key to maintaining Olympic status, even though one of the points of the Olympics is to provide a showcase for amateur athletes who participate in sports that are not professionalized. But who needs intellectual honesty or consistency when there are billions of dollars in television revenues to be had?
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another busy summer seen for I-93 construction - 2
- More in Keene paying for parking by cellphone - 0
- Feds to earmark $2M for bridge and road repairs in White Mountain National Forest - 0
- I-93 expansion moves forward in Windham as funding concerns are rising - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Mark Hayward's City Matters: Manchester's bike culture shifts into high gear - 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Sox Beat: Red Sox makeover underway - 0
- Tom Herzig's Trackside: MacDonald has NHMS track experience - 0
- Drew Cline: Scott Brown plans to win over NH one handshake at a time - 0
- Anthony M. Kay - 0
- Walsh paces Sweeney Post past Laconia - 0
- Late rally lifts Red Sox past White Sox - 0
- On Baseball: Matinee win keeps Fisher Cats on a roll - 0
Police say Manchester woman arrested for punching ex-boyfriend during custody exchange in Walmart parking lot
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles
Salem drops $50 permit for Sunday sales
Anthony M. Kay
Ban fireworks? Get serious
GOP criticizes Shaheen over gas tax
Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing?
Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release