Timberlane hockey team leaves game in second period, forfeits
With his Merrimack High School team beating Timberlane Regional of Plaistow 8-1 and about 2:30 left in the second period, the Owls and their entire coaching staff left the rink and didn't return.
"I was completely blown away when I saw that," Mithoefer said.
It all happened shortly after a scrum in front of the net during which some jousting took place and words were exchanged between players. That's when the Timberlane coach left the bench and his players followed suit by skating off the ice.
Mithoefer said some of the Owls tried to "bait" his kids while they were leaving the ice but his players didn't bite.
"Not during my playing days and the couple of years I've been coaching.," Mithoefer said when asked if he had ever seen anything like that. "I don't know exactly what (the Timberlane coach) was complaining about."
The Timberlane coach and athletic director could not be reached for comment.
Mithoefer said the coach was vocal for most of the game about the officiating and the fact one of his players was hurt. At one point in the second period the Timberlane coach leaned over the boards separating the team benches and told Mithoefer he wasn't coming back to the ice after the second intermission.
They didn't even wait that long.
The Tomahawks had only two penalties in the game up to that point and the Owls had seven. The score was 4-1 after one period and the lead got up to 8-1 before things boiled over. The Tomahawks are enjoying an undefeated season and stand atop the Division II standings at 14-0, while Timberlane has struggled this year and is now 1-13.
Some coaches spoken to about the situation said they believe the punishment for such actions would be a one-year suspension.
NHIAA Executive Director Pat Corbin could not be reached for comment either.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bedford wrestlers top Goffstown - 0
- Central builds early lead, beats Pinkerton - 0
- Pinkerton, Memorial deadlock - 0
- Concord's Law is Athlete of the Month - 0
- Indoor track results - 0
- Central-Trinity: It's time - 2
- Trinity, BG skaters open with victories - 0
- Central vs. Trinity: 'competition, not warfare' - 5
- NHIAA preview: Boys' ice hockey races appear to be wide open - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Snow could reschedule Super Bowl - 2
- Red Sox deal Morales for backup infielder - 0
- It's a season of switching teams for NASCAR drivers - 0
- Central girls down Trinity in OT - 0
- Pistons edge Celtics - 0
- Business is good for football elite - 0
- Negotiator: Israeli-Palestinian talks might take year to complete - 0
- Harvard student charged in bomb hoax released on bail - 3
- Jackknifed propane tanker closes I-293 to traffic for hours in aftermath - 0
Snow could reschedule Super Bowl
1 dead following Route 101 crash in Milford
City man charged with endangering child