Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Sandown man admits to threatening woman following car crash
Michael Bontaites, 20, entered guilty pleas to felony criminal threatening and a misdemeanor charge of conduct after an accident on Tuesday afternoon in Rockingham County Superior Court.
The plea happened at a hearing in which Bontaites was expected to challenge a search of his vehicle by police that led to his arrest.
Bontaites remains free on bail pending his sentencing hearing on March 23. Prosecutors say Bontaites exited his truck holding a knife after crashing into the woman's vehicle along the Route 28 traffic circle in Derry on June 13.
In court on Tuesday, Bontaites claimed he never intended to harm the woman while brandishing the weapon.
"I did have it, but I did not threaten her," he told Judge Marguerite Wageling.
She said, "Do you agree someone could perceive those acts as a threat even if your intent wasn't to convey that message?"
Bontaites agreed, and went on to plead guilty to the felony and misdemeanor charges.
Assistant County Attorney Lisa Cirulli said her office will ask Bontaites to serve at least half of a year-long county jail sentence when he is sentenced on March 23.
Bontaites would also receive an anger management evaluation upon his release and remain on probation for a year, according to terms of the agreement. He would receive a suspended year-long jail sentence for the conduct after an accident charge.
Public defender Emily Sieber will have a chance to argue for a lesser sentence at next month's hearing.
Had Bontaites gone forward with a trial, he could have faced up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison if convicted on the felony charges.
Prosecutors agreed to drop an operating after suspension charge as part of the negotiated agreement.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Delayed sexual assault trial to start today - 0
- Manchester man charged in series of store robberies - 0
- Fugitive convicted of stabbing Manchester man in heart in ’96 - 0
- Two charged with selling heroin in Nashua - 0
- 'Fugitive of the week' arrested in Hooksett - 0
- Dover police arrest 3 on drug charges - 8
- Manchester woman accused of driving on sidewalk chasing boyfriend - 17
- Vehicle stops in Manchester yield 3 drug arrests - 5
- Pelham had employed finance head charged with embezzlement - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Incredible win tempered by loss of Gronkowski - 0
- National champion SNHU booters return home to big welcome - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Football team on to SE Louisiana - 0
- Nashua aldermen set to vote on contract for teachers - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Let there be Christmas lights - 0
- Plea deal possible in Littleton murder - 0
- New UNH logo draws mixed reactions - 0
- Gilmanton library may shut down if it doesn’t get funding - 0
- Father not convinced girl in video is Abigail Hernandez - 0
New UNH logo draws mixed reactions
UNH unveils new 'shield' logo
UNH lecturers seek to unionize
Word of Abby's letter spurs tips of no use
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424