Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Sep 18, 2014
Sandown man admits to threatening woman following car crash
Michael Bontaites, 20, entered guilty pleas to felony criminal threatening and a misdemeanor charge of conduct after an accident on Tuesday afternoon in Rockingham County Superior Court.
The plea happened at a hearing in which Bontaites was expected to challenge a search of his vehicle by police that led to his arrest.
Bontaites remains free on bail pending his sentencing hearing on March 23. Prosecutors say Bontaites exited his truck holding a knife after crashing into the woman's vehicle along the Route 28 traffic circle in Derry on June 13.
In court on Tuesday, Bontaites claimed he never intended to harm the woman while brandishing the weapon.
"I did have it, but I did not threaten her," he told Judge Marguerite Wageling.
She said, "Do you agree someone could perceive those acts as a threat even if your intent wasn't to convey that message?"
Bontaites agreed, and went on to plead guilty to the felony and misdemeanor charges.
Assistant County Attorney Lisa Cirulli said her office will ask Bontaites to serve at least half of a year-long county jail sentence when he is sentenced on March 23.
Bontaites would also receive an anger management evaluation upon his release and remain on probation for a year, according to terms of the agreement. He would receive a suspended year-long jail sentence for the conduct after an accident charge.
Public defender Emily Sieber will have a chance to argue for a lesser sentence at next month's hearing.
Had Bontaites gone forward with a trial, he could have faced up to 3½ to 7 years in state prison if convicted on the felony charges.
Prosecutors agreed to drop an operating after suspension charge as part of the negotiated agreement.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Man charged with robbing Rochester bank while wearing zebra-print dress is arraigned - 0
- Judge hikes bail in sex assault, child porn case - 0
- Judge declines to order mistrial in Derry sex assault case - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Police say homeless man stole car, struck pedestrian - 0
- Police investigating pizza store burglary in Plaistow - 0
- Salem police searching for Dunkin Donuts robber who wore Obama Halloween mask - 2
- Information sought in Keene hair salon burglary attempt - 0
- Two men arrested in Nashua armed robbery - 0
- Elderly Dover woman victim of paving scam, police say - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Commodore Nutt takes D.C. by storm - 1
- School's out for voters - 2
- Kuster's abortion lies: Claims against Garcia are untrue - 15
- Senate battle attracts 17,000 TV ads in NH - 2
- Jonathan E. Benedict - 1
- Drew Cline: GOP missed opportunities could mean trouble on Tuesday - 4
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Demaryius Thomas is x-factor for Broncos' offense - 1
- College Football: Big Green ready for tussle with Harvard - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer
The Obamaconomy: Shea-Porter shows its flaw
Trump fired up over NH mailer
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483