Sandown firefighters quickly knock down fire
February 14. 2013 9:26PM
SANDOWN - Firefighters were able to keep a fast-moving fire contained to one room early Thursday, Fire Chief Wilfred Tapley said.
Tapley said the fire started in a chimney of the home at 630 Main St. about 4 a.m. Thursday. He said a second alarm was called, but was cancelled because firefighters were able to quickly knock the blaze down, thanks partly to new smoke detectors and the homeowners closing the door to the room.
"That kept it at bay and it didn't get the whole house," Tapley said. "It was an excellent stop for four in the morning."
Tapley said the house suffered smoke damage throughout but is salvageable. He said the two residents, along with two dogs, escaped unharmed and were being assisted by the American Red Cross.
One firefighter was injured when he slipped and hurt his back, Tapley said.