Home » News » Public Safety
Sandown firefighters quickly knock down fire
Tapley said the fire started in a chimney of the home at 630 Main St. about 4 a.m. Thursday. He said a second alarm was called, but was cancelled because firefighters were able to quickly knock the blaze down, thanks partly to new smoke detectors and the homeowners closing the door to the room.
"That kept it at bay and it didn't get the whole house," Tapley said. "It was an excellent stop for four in the morning."
Tapley said the house suffered smoke damage throughout but is salvageable. He said the two residents, along with two dogs, escaped unharmed and were being assisted by the American Red Cross.
One firefighter was injured when he slipped and hurt his back, Tapley said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry family fair returns but child safety is still the theme - 0
- Girl, grandmother escape fire in Rochester home with no detectors - 0
- Motorcyclist in serious condition after crash in Rochester - 0
- Manchester police officers to be honored for work in unresolved West Side stabbing death - 5
- Authorities say smoking ignited oxygen in Derry apartment building fire - 1
- Motorcyclist flown to Maine hospital following crash on Route 125 - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Affair, threats alleged in Weare police chief investigation - 11
- Cause of 3-alarm Derry fire remains under investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester family heartbroken after finding lost kitten was adopted from shelter, family refuses to return it - 2
- Body found under Manchester bridge identified as local woman - 0
- Chester deputy fire chief jailed for allegedly violating restraining order - 1
- Manchester police release photos of men they believe robbed mother, daughters at local Holiday Inn - 0
- Scots spurn independence, vote to stay in the United Kingdom - 1
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Answers forthcoming - 0
- NHMS chief Gappens is on board with the Chase changes - 0
- Another View -- Ben Rose: How NH's John Stark helped defeat the British at Saratoga - 1
- Celebrating Claremont: A 250th birthday party - 0
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Dean Kamen is a genius inventor, and he's pretty good at oratory, too
Ayotte pushes bill to combat 'spice'
Casino gambles: Hopes dashed all over