Home » News » Public Safety
Northfield fire damages home
Upon arrival, first responders reported smoke showing from the eves and fire on the first floor, according to Tilton-Northfield Fire Chief Bradley Ober.
Crews found the fire was burning in the basement.
The fire was quickly knocked down, Ober said, and was kept from spreading through the home.
The fire was discovered by one of the homeowner's children after he got home from school.
"He did an excellent job keeping the door shut and calling 911 immediately and not entering the home" Ober said. "Damage was limited due to his actions."
The fire was caused by a problem with a wood stove.
Ober said homeowners need to be sure their wood stoves are working correctly.
"It's extremely important to ensure wood stoves and other heating appliances are installed and operated properly," he said.
Tilton-Northfield firefighters and EMS were aided by the Franklin Fire Department and Northfield police assisted at the scene. Belmont and Sanbornton fire departments provided station coverage.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 2
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 0
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 0
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 0
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: A humbling — and inspiring — event - 0
- Developer says proposed LNG plant in Groveton 'on hold' - 2
- Motivation Matters: 'Giving 110 percent' says more than you think - 0
- Know the Law: Do I need a prenup? - 0
- Life's just a great big game for Dan Yarrington - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH