All Sections
Welcome guest, you have 3 views left.  Register| Sign In

Northfield fire damages home

Firefighters credit an alert family member with saving his home from burning late Wednesday afternoon. Firefighters were called to single-family residence at 133 Reservoir Road at 3:08 p.m.

Upon arrival, first responders reported smoke showing from the eves and fire on the first floor, according to Tilton-Northfield Fire Chief Bradley Ober.

Crews found the fire was burning in the basement.

The fire was quickly knocked down, Ober said, and was kept from spreading through the home.

The fire was discovered by one of the homeowner's children after he got home from school.

"He did an excellent job keeping the door shut and calling 911 immediately and not entering the home" Ober said. "Damage was limited due to his actions."

The fire was caused by a problem with a wood stove.

Ober said homeowners need to be sure their wood stoves are working correctly.

"It's extremely important to ensure wood stoves and other heating appliances are installed and operated properly," he said.

Tilton-Northfield firefighters and EMS were aided by the Franklin Fire Department and Northfield police assisted at the scene. Belmont and Sanbornton fire departments provided station coverage.

Trace Adkins
Saturday, 8 p.m.

Ringling Bros. and Barnum Bailey presents Circus XTREME
Friday, 7 p.m.
Saturday, 11 a.m., 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.,
Sunday, 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.

Moniff: 5th Annual Monadnock Int'l Film Festival
Friday, 9:30 a.m.,
Saturday, 9:30 a.m.,
Sunday, 9 a.m.

Earth Day Celebration
Friday, 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m.

Greater Dover Home Show
Saturday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.,
Sunday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.