Home » News » Public Safety
Northfield fire damages home
Upon arrival, first responders reported smoke showing from the eves and fire on the first floor, according to Tilton-Northfield Fire Chief Bradley Ober.
Crews found the fire was burning in the basement.
The fire was quickly knocked down, Ober said, and was kept from spreading through the home.
The fire was discovered by one of the homeowner's children after he got home from school.
"He did an excellent job keeping the door shut and calling 911 immediately and not entering the home" Ober said. "Damage was limited due to his actions."
The fire was caused by a problem with a wood stove.
Ober said homeowners need to be sure their wood stoves are working correctly.
"It's extremely important to ensure wood stoves and other heating appliances are installed and operated properly," he said.
Tilton-Northfield firefighters and EMS were aided by the Franklin Fire Department and Northfield police assisted at the scene. Belmont and Sanbornton fire departments provided station coverage.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua man who died jumping off bridge to escape heat identified - 0
- Pit bull owner sought in fatal attack on another dog near Tuckerman Ravine - 5
- Man's body pulled from Merrimack River - 0
- Free gun lock giveway begins Sept. 1 in Conway - 0
- Victim identified in fatal Pelham motorcycle accident - 0
- Man killed in Pelham motorcycle accident identified as local man, 24 - 0
- Manchester man seriously injured after driving into oncoming traffic - 0
- Derry police continue to look for missing gun left in courthouse bathroom - 0
- Backyard boulder kills Raymond homeowner - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Tuition tax credits make a return