Home » Sports » College Sports
NHTI hoopsters opens playoffs on Saturday
Could the Lynx be brewing another big season?
NHTI wrapped up the regular season with an 84-76 home win against Vermont Technical College and honored its seniors, including starting guard Besfort Syla, a Manchester West graduate. Syla, who grew up in war-torn Kosovo, earned his U.S. citizenship last summer and will graduate from NHTI with associate degrees in criminal justice and general studies.
"It was really special to have him and his parents here on Senior Night," NHTI coach Paul Hogan said. "He's really an enjoyable kid to coach. He loves to practice and loves to win. His teammates respect him."
The Lynx (30-1) open the Yankee Small College Conference playoffs against the University of Maine-Machias on Saturday at 3 p.m. The conference tourney is being played at Central Maine Community College in Auburn, Maine.
NHTI athletic trainer Bryce St. Cyr, a Prospect Mountain of Alton and University of New Hampshire graduate, was also honored during Senior Night at NHTI's Goldie Crocker Wellness Center. St. Cyr, will soon be heading to Fort Myers, Fla., to begin a spring training internship with the Boston Red Sox.
The 23-year-old hopes to join a minor-league affiliate at the end of spring training.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 15
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 33
- Roaming jihadis: A terrorist visits Manchester - 5
- Athletes and PE: Give them credit for sports - 7
- The EPA's friend: It has a loyal ally in Shea-Porter - 16
- Leading vs. following: Ayotte, Shaheen and the polls - 24
- The cupcake police: Stop! In the name of lard! - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Banker convicted of fraud in scheme involving press maker exec - 0
- Mass. man charged in Nashua hit-and-run - 0
- Bedford's Shapiro hits lacrosse milestone - 0
- NHIAA boxscores, summaries for May 20, 2013 - 0
- Police say man held girlfriend in car, arrest him - 0
- Overtime puts stress on Nashua police budget - 1
- Manchester, church group seek accord on breakfast for homeless - 10
- Ky. Sen. Rand Paul to NH GOP: Let's look like America - 12
- Man gunned down on Manchester street was talented graffiti artist - 36
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs
Texting + driving = deadly consequences
Derry marks a soldier's death
Memorial Day Observances 2013