Possible meteor shower reported in eastern Russia
"It was definitely not a plane," an emergency official told Reuters, without elaborating. "We are gathering the bits of information and have no data on the casualties so far."
No one was hurt in a meteor shower, an emergency official told RIA-Novosti. Local residents said they witnessed burning objects in the sky of the Chelyabinsk and Sverdlovsk regions.
A Reuters witness in Chelyabinsk reported hearing a huge blast early in the morning and feeling a shockwave in a 19-storey building in the town center.
The sounds of car alarms and breaking windows could be heard in the area, the witness said, and mobile phones were working intermittently.
"Preliminary indications are that it was a meteorite rain," an emergency official told RIA-Novosti. "We have information about a blast at 10,000-meter (32,800-foot) altitude. It is being verified."
The trace from a falling object could be seen in Yekaterinburg, some 200 kilometers (125 miles) southeast of Chelyabinsk, another Reuters witness said.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester extends snow emergency; pedestrian injured when hit by plow - 1
- Seacoast digs out from more than a foot of snow - 0
- Snowfall totals in NH vary from 7 inches to more than a foot. - 0
- Manchester police say no major snow-related problems - 2
- Winter storm brings a foot of snow to most of NH - 0
- Slow down NH, and smell the snowplows - 4
- Keep it simple and be prepared for winter storm driving in NH - 0
- Storm packing heavy snow bears down on U.S. Midwest, Northeast - 0
- Manchester declares snow emergency for Saturday night - 1
- NH makes tort reform group's 'Judicial Hellholes' list - 1
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
Sales of new limited edition ‘Old Man’ liquor bottles will help fund Hall of Flags restoration projectREADER COMMENTS: 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan