Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester man killed in Auburn snowmobile accident
Officials confirmed the victim was Keith Ryan Jr., 41.<br/<br/>
Auburn Fire Chief Bruce Phillips said emergency responders were on the scene within minutes after the accident and performed CPR on the man. He was taken by ambulance to Elliot Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the chief said.
The boy was seriously injured and also taken to the Manchester hospital.
The man and the boy were both wearing helmets, but sustained serious injuries to other parts of their bodies, according to Fish and Game.
Fish and Game officials said the pair were riding together on a single snowmobile around 3:30 p.m. in Front Park. According to witnesses, the two hit a bump causing the machine to accelerate rapidly. Both were ejected from the machine and thrown onto rocks. The machine also continued into a rock, launching it about 72 feet through the air and into a small brook, authorities said.
The father and son were riding with another friend who was behind them on a separate snowmobile when the accident occurred. The friend called 911. Two nearby fishermen also witnessed the accident and ran over to help and stood by until rescuers arrived on scene.
Auburn police and fire departments, Derry Fire and Rescue, Manchester Water Works and NH Fish and Game Conservation Officers responded.
"This incident serves as a reminder for all riders to use due care and caution at all times when operating snowmobiles and" off highway recreational vehicles, said Conservation Officer Geoffrey Pushee.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
- Nashua YMCA lifeguard: ‘My training just kicked in and instincts took over’ - 0
- Milford police officers want to meet you for coffee - 2
- Nashua parents: Clean up the sidewalks for students' safety - 0
- Manchester police car in collision at Union and Hayward streets - 0
- Northwood fire prompts firefighters to urge residents to clean chimneys - 0
- Rochester pedestrian, 18, struck, suffers minor injuries - 0
- Haverhill man receives call every homeowner dreads - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Allen Lessels' UNH Notebook: Wildcats, Hogan not finished yet - 0
- Little Green has quartet of contenders for New England wrestling championships - 0
- Roger Brown's High School Basketball: Madness has arrived - 0
- Monarchs: Let's play three - 0
- Another View -- Diana Lacey: Union Leader editorial got gas tax hearing all wrong - 2
- Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief - 8
- Banning cell phones: Impulse shopping in the House - 4
- Cannon Mountain skiers head to Paralympics - 0
Fremont's Miss 1964 to pass on her crown
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief