Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester man killed in Auburn snowmobile accident
Officials confirmed the victim was Keith Ryan Jr., 41.<br/<br/>
Auburn Fire Chief Bruce Phillips said emergency responders were on the scene within minutes after the accident and performed CPR on the man. He was taken by ambulance to Elliot Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, the chief said.
The boy was seriously injured and also taken to the Manchester hospital.
The man and the boy were both wearing helmets, but sustained serious injuries to other parts of their bodies, according to Fish and Game.
Fish and Game officials said the pair were riding together on a single snowmobile around 3:30 p.m. in Front Park. According to witnesses, the two hit a bump causing the machine to accelerate rapidly. Both were ejected from the machine and thrown onto rocks. The machine also continued into a rock, launching it about 72 feet through the air and into a small brook, authorities said.
The father and son were riding with another friend who was behind them on a separate snowmobile when the accident occurred. The friend called 911. Two nearby fishermen also witnessed the accident and ran over to help and stood by until rescuers arrived on scene.
Auburn police and fire departments, Derry Fire and Rescue, Manchester Water Works and NH Fish and Game Conservation Officers responded.
"This incident serves as a reminder for all riders to use due care and caution at all times when operating snowmobiles and" off highway recreational vehicles, said Conservation Officer Geoffrey Pushee.
READER COMMENTS: 63
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time