Home » News » Public Safety
Webster man killed, girl, 17, burned after gas poured on brush fire
"A lot of people don't realize the explosive nature of gasoline," said State Fire Marshal District Chief Max Schultz.
Schultz said Daniel Hewey and the girl were burning brush outdoors in a home-made fit pit, made from a cut open oil tank around 10:20 p.m. when the fire went out. Hewey tried to get the fire started back up by pouring gasoline into the pit from an open bucket, Schultz said. The gasoline vapors are highly volatile and should never be used on a fire, Schultz said.
"It basically exploded," he said.
Both Hewey and the girl caught fire and first responders were called for the emergency.
Hewey was rushed to Concord Hospital where he later died of his injuries. The girl was taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston for treatment. Her injuries are mostly to her face, Schultz said.
"She's going to be OK," he said.
Schultz said many people try to re-light fires with gasoline, and run the risk of injury of death due to the volatile nature of the gas.
"People need to know not to use it," he said.
Flammable liquids, such as lighter fluid, can be use to start the fire, but should never be used to relight a fire that has gone out, as the embers and ash can still run hot enough to cause an explosion when mixed with a flammable liquid.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- ‘Coffee with a Cop’ promotes police, community relations - 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 1
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 1
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua teen charged with robbery - 0
- U.S. attorneys general urge Wal-Mart, other retailers to stop selling tobacco - 1
- Area firefighters save Nottingham home after chimney fire spreads - 0
- Manchester police search for bank robber - 0
- Police investigating possible stabbing of man, 22, on Lake Avenue - 1
- As city health costs soar, ‘wellness’ post pushed in Manchester - 11
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents