Home » News » Public Safety
Webster man killed, girl, 17, burned after gas poured on brush fire
"A lot of people don't realize the explosive nature of gasoline," said State Fire Marshal District Chief Max Schultz.
Schultz said Daniel Hewey and the girl were burning brush outdoors in a home-made fit pit, made from a cut open oil tank around 10:20 p.m. when the fire went out. Hewey tried to get the fire started back up by pouring gasoline into the pit from an open bucket, Schultz said. The gasoline vapors are highly volatile and should never be used on a fire, Schultz said.
"It basically exploded," he said.
Both Hewey and the girl caught fire and first responders were called for the emergency.
Hewey was rushed to Concord Hospital where he later died of his injuries. The girl was taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston for treatment. Her injuries are mostly to her face, Schultz said.
"She's going to be OK," he said.
Schultz said many people try to re-light fires with gasoline, and run the risk of injury of death due to the volatile nature of the gas.
"People need to know not to use it," he said.
Flammable liquids, such as lighter fluid, can be use to start the fire, but should never be used to relight a fire that has gone out, as the embers and ash can still run hot enough to cause an explosion when mixed with a flammable liquid.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 1
- Death investigation under way in Manchester, no foul play suspected - 3
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
- N.J. woman injured in Moultonborough motorcycle crash - 1
- Danville police chief pleads not guilty in firearms case - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 1
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 0
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 0
- Surveillance led NSA to 50 terror 'events' - 0
- One arrested as Concord gun-control rally gets rowdy - 13
- Celtics, Clippers call off Doc deal - 0
- High school football is in the air as CHad practice opens - 0
- Agencies to offer summer food service to Derry children in need - 0
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time