Home » News » Public Safety
Webster man killed, girl, 17, burned after gas poured on brush fire
"A lot of people don't realize the explosive nature of gasoline," said State Fire Marshal District Chief Max Schultz.
Schultz said Daniel Hewey and the girl were burning brush outdoors in a home-made fit pit, made from a cut open oil tank around 10:20 p.m. when the fire went out. Hewey tried to get the fire started back up by pouring gasoline into the pit from an open bucket, Schultz said. The gasoline vapors are highly volatile and should never be used on a fire, Schultz said.
"It basically exploded," he said.
Both Hewey and the girl caught fire and first responders were called for the emergency.
Hewey was rushed to Concord Hospital where he later died of his injuries. The girl was taken to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston for treatment. Her injuries are mostly to her face, Schultz said.
"She's going to be OK," he said.
Schultz said many people try to re-light fires with gasoline, and run the risk of injury of death due to the volatile nature of the gas.
"People need to know not to use it," he said.
Flammable liquids, such as lighter fluid, can be use to start the fire, but should never be used to relight a fire that has gone out, as the embers and ash can still run hot enough to cause an explosion when mixed with a flammable liquid.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Investigators release sketch of man who may have driven Abigail away - 1
- Supporters ask for patience in Abby Hernandez case while authorities sort it all out - 9
- Package found at Manchester federal building was harmless - 0
- Tractor-trailer carrying glass rolls over at I-93-Route 101 interchange in Manchester - 0
- Contact lost with Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people from Burkina Faso - 0
- New Ipswich man dies in motorcycle, truck collision - 0
- Two hurt in crash on Everett Turnpike involving tractor-trailer - 0
- Lightning likely cause of Manchester apartment building fire - 0
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in Jaffrey crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- Jayne Millerick: Dems scaring women by misleading them on contraception - 0
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 0
- Patriots Notebook: Ongoing renovations in Foxborough - 0
- Three years later, investigation continues into homicide of Celina Cass - 0
- Nashua celebration in the works for Medal of Honor recipient - 0
- Fisher Cats down Senators in road trip opener - 0
- No water for Manchester sewer bill scofflaws? - 0
- New Boston mulch processing plant plans under review - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Defense attorney seeks home confinement for drug addict - 0
Market Basket walkout a future case study
UPDATED: Thousands of Market Basket employees rally; company board issues statement on purchase offer, reaffirms support for new CEOs
Basket case: Saga of a supermarket