Home » Opinion » Editorials
Marco Rubio's baptism: Liberals don't know what to do
Liberals pounced, saying that this was the young Florida senator's "Watergate'' and it had pretty much washed him out of consideration for President, as serious spokesman for the GOP, or dog catcher. Seriously?
National Sandinista Radio (also known as NPR), was a bit more subtle, but not much. Eschewing the waterboarding technique, its alleged "news'' item told supposedly shocked listeners that Rubio "sounded like Mitt Romney.''
No doubt Rubio's defense of private enterprise and the like made him sound like Romney to the NPR reporter, but wouldn't it have been nice if Rubio were simply quoted so a listener could decide for himself how he "sounded?''
In fact, Rubio's official Republican response to President Obama's State of the Union address was an informative, impassioned defense of conservative political philosophy about life and free enterprise, mixed with a rich, admirable personal story.
He not only warned of big government, he explained what private enterprise can do to help the human condition.
Rubio was, in point of fact, perfectly reasonable and likeable.
These are qualities that liberals fear most from conservatives. What to do? Why, reach for Rubio reaching for a water bottle (Poland Springs, by the way). Talk about grasping at straws.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 13
- Needing answers in Weare: The first step to accountability - 0
- Where terrorists win: The world's one 'kill Americans' zone - 6
- Expanding NH economy: Of energy costs, trains and clowns - 3
- Obama acts illegally: Shaheen parrots his talking points - 64
- Regulations must adapt: Cities cannot squash the new economy - 3
- Offend someone? To jail with you! - 22
- King Obama: Creating a constitutional crisis - 42
- VA wait times: They are still bad - 6
READER COMMENTS: 0
- PSNH says storm ranks as 4th largest for peak outage - 0
- Henniker police shoot suspect in truck heist - 0
- More than 200,000 New Hampshire customers without power - 1
- Thanksgiving travel a nightmare as storm dumps heavy, wet snow - 3
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats put selves in strong position - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl will go as scheduled - 0
- Red Sox think they got free agent signings right this time - 0
- Turkey Bowls: Passion always on the menu - 0
- Manchester Turkey Bowl: Crusaders aim to rewrite history - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record